VPN services allow you to have higher levels of security and anonymity in your connections to the network. They are the best tool for browsing in insecure networks, accessing restricted geo content or for establishing a reliable connection between your remote computers and your company.
A virtual private network or VPN is a software that you install on your computer to protect your identity and your data when you use internet. When browsing or downloading content, VPN services offer you both protection and anonymity. It is very useful if your business has employees traveling around the world, as they will have secure remote access to your company’s private network.
Benefits of VPN Services
The first advantage of having a VPN is the masking of your location. Before your computer accesses the internet, these services connect you to one of its servers located in different parts of the world, and it is from there that the real connection to the web is realized. In this way, it is impossible to trace the source of your connection.
With VPN application, you can select from which country you want to connect to the internet, so you hide your real IP address and make others believe that you are somewhere else. You can easily access content with geographic restrictions and skip the information blocks imposed in certain regions of the world.
Because a VPN service creates an encrypted connection with a kind of direct tunnel between your computer and the server, data is protected from the possible third party interventions.
In summary, the following are the advantages of acquiring a VPN service to ensure your online communications;
- Access to all websites without geo-restrictions
- Extra security for the most sensitive information
- Privacy and anonymity
- Remote access for your employees
Free VPN Vs. Paid VPN
Like many other security systems currently available on the network, VPN services also have free options. Some are supported by advertising and others limiting the bandwidth to users. The combination of these two variables offers more or less advantages at no cost. But free alternatives will not always guarantee maximum coverage, so it is necessary to evaluate the advantages of contracting paid VPN services.
Obviously you are looking for a VPN to enjoy the benefits offered, so let’s look at the most important aspects to consider when using one of these services, and compare the pros and cons of the paid and free versions;
- Security is a very important factor when choosing a VPN provider. In many cases, free services offer PPTP security protocols, which have flaws that make your data vulnerable to potential attacks. On the other hand, paid services use IPsec and L2TP protocols that are much more secure.
- One aspect to consider is that a paid VPN service will have more interest than a free service in maintaining the anonymity of its customers.
- Another factor is bandwidth available in the service. Usually free services do not have enough resources to invest in efficient Internet connections, resulting in a bad connection. Paid VPNs ensure much faster connections.
- The number of servers that can have a free VPN service is very low as compared to paid ones. This is reflected both in the places from which you can establish connection to the network, and in the quality of these connections.
- Finally, generally the paid services have much better customer support.